PRESS RELEASE Stockholm, Sweden, November 6, 2006 Elekta announced today that it has received an order for four (4) Leksell Gamma Knife® Perfexion™ with deliveries starting in the spring of 2007 to customers of GK Financing, LLC, a unit of American Shared Hospital Services' (AMEX:AMS).

Through GK Financing, American Shared Hospital Services (AMS) is the world leader in providing Gamma Knife® surgery services, with Leksell Gamma Knife units installed at 21 U.S. sites. GK Financing is majority owned (81 percent) by AMS, and the remaining 19 percent owned by Elekta.

Currently installed and in clinical operation at Hôpital la Timone (Timone University Hospital) in Marseille, France, the first patients were successfully treated with Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion in mid-July. In a report on the first 30 patients treated with the new system presented at the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) annual meeting in Chicago, Illinois, in October, the team in Marseille concluded, "In this preliminary experience Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion is turning out to represent a great improvement over other radiosurgical technologies and even over earlier Gamma Knife systems. Our overall feeling is that this new generation platform for radiosurgery is a real quantum leap for radiosurgery technology and appears to make radiosurgery even easier, faster and safer than before."

Ernest A. Bates, M.D., Chairman and CEO of American Shared Hospital Services, said, "With Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion, Elekta expands the Gamma Knife product line with a completely new system that takes stereotactic radiosurgery to the next level and provides a platform for further refinement and expansion of radiosurgery procedures in the brain, skull, cervical spine and head & neck regions. By making non-invasive brain surgery more straightforward than ever before, this new system offers important benefits to brain disorder patients. What is more, the positive reports from Professor Jean Régis and his team in Marseille suggest that Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion will support increased patient volumes while at the same time improving efficiency and saving physician time."

"We are pleased to expand our collaboration with AMS by delivering these systems to its customers, who will be among the very first in the world to have Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion installed. The formal U.S. launch of Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion at the CNS meeting generated strong interest in this system from U.S. neurosurgeons as well as from their colleagues all over the world," commented Tomas Puusepp, President and CEO of Elekta.

About Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion

Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion maintains the full clinical compatibility with the classic Leksell Gamma Knife and is supported by the efficacy and outcome data of 400,000 treated patients worldwide and thousands of peer-reviewed scientific articles, making it the most proven method for radiosurgery of the brain.

Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion allows for a dramatically increased treatable volume, which is estimated to increase the number of patients that can benefit from Gamma Knife surgery by up to 40%. The fully automated and efficient single push-button approach is expected to save 3-5 working weeks of physician time per year at an average Gamma Knife center.

Designed from the ground up with patient safety and staff comfort in mind, the Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion reduces unwanted body dose to patients by as much as 100 times compared with competing technologies, which is particularly important for the treatment of children and women of childbearing age.