In September 2011 Elekta acquired Nucletron. Founded in 1975, Nucletron provides state of the art radiotherapy solutions for cancer treatment that meet the evolving needs of patients, their caregivers and healthcare professionals around the world. Nucletron has unmatched global leadership in brachytherapy, a very precise, highly effective and well-tolerated treatment option for healthcare providers, tailored to the needs of individual patients. Headquartered in Veenendaal, The Netherlands, Nucletron employs more than 500 employees, with offices in 18 countries, and products available in more than 100 countries around the world. For more information, please visit the Nucletron website at http://www.nucletron.com/
By joining forces with Elekta, Nucletron has become part of a world-leading provider of therapy for many types of cancers. As modern cancer care becomes increasingly dependent on combinations of different modalities, the forces of two key players in external beam and brachytherapy will result in a highly complementary product and technology portfolio.
Some key points are as follows:
- Commitment to brachytherapy. As a new business area within Elekta, Nucletron’s commitment to brachytherapy will remain unchanged. Nucletron’s vision has led to the development of leading edge solutions such as the Flexitron® and microSelectron® afterloaders, Oncentra® Brachy treatment planning system, and the broadest range of brachytherapy applicators.
- Nucletron brand remains. The Nucletron brand is synonymous with exceptional brachytherapy and you will continue to see the Nucletron name prominently displayed within the new Elekta business area. Over time however, you will see the gradual migration of our entire portfolio of solutions towards a single Elekta brand.
- Combined commitment to open systems integration. Both Nucletron and Elekta products integrate with a multitude of vendor-neutral imaging, delivery, and treatment planning systems. This commitment to open systems integration will remain a cornerstone of our mutual development efforts.
- Continued development and support for Oncentra External Beam treatment planning. We recognize that an investment in a treatment planning system is a significant one. As was the case with the acquisition of CMS and IMPAC, Elekta is committed to honoring and supporting a long history of loyal, valued customers brought in through acquisition. Accordingly, development and support for the Oncentra External Beam treatment planning system will continue.
- New technology collaboration. In the near future, we are reviewing exciting potential developments such as the integration between Nucletron’s brachytherapy treatment planning and delivery systems with Elekta’s market-leading MOSAIQ® Oncology Information System. Complementing this future integration effort will be MOSAIQ’s award-winning charting and workflow management capabilities, plus verification and record (V&R) components between the two systems.
- Expanded service and support excellence. The Nucletron sales and support / service teams will continue to serve you as before, and in most cases, your usual Nucletron contacts will remain the same. Both Elekta and Nucletron are proud to have earned numerous accolades from independent auditing firms such as MD Buyline in the U.S., and together we will carry that award-winning spirit forward. We are confident that the expanded depth and breadth of the two Sales and Client Services teams, now consisting of nearly 400 professionals, will provide you with an even stronger, broader level of support.